This is the most common question we get when talking to customers. Sometimes folks are looking for what flavor to start with when using bitters for the first time and sometimes they’re looking to branch out and add a flavor other than Aromatic.
The answer really comes down to what you like drink. I always steer folks toward a flavor they will use often and it doesn’t matter if you always make the same drink or like to mix it up. I either try to help find the perfect thing to liven up their favorite drink or a flavor that goes well with the general style drinks they like.
The first place to start is your favorite spirit. And many folks say they’re indiscriminate, but really what spirit do you gravitate toward most often. That’s where you start.
- Lighter spirits like gin, tequila, or vodka pair best with lighter flavors like Grapefruit, Lime Coriander, or Orange.
- Darker spirits like whiskey, scotch, and aged rums go best with our darker flavors like Aromatic, Barrel Aged, and Dead Guy Chicory
- If you really don’t have a preference then go for the middle, Orange and Cardamom are super versatile.
Once you’ve narrowed it down a bit based on your favorite spirit, then you should consider what style of drinks or even the specific drinks you make most often.
- Do you lean toward bright and citrusy, go with Grapefruit or Orange
- Do you like dark and bitter try Dead Guy Chicory or Aromatic
- More into refreshing and herbal, Lime Coriander or Cardamom might wine you over
Of course the most important thing to consider is which flavor sounds the best to you or simply tastes the best. If you only drink and you find the Hazelnut bitters super compelling, go with it. I don’t doubt you’ll come up with something that tastes great.
And for fun, here’s a little visual guide to help you narrow down your choices.